Saturday, March 06, 2010

Ice, Ice, Baby!

Altus was hit with the ice storm from you know where, just as the movers were packing our belongings into the moving truck. It was really terrible. Just looking at these pictures makes me cringe. The poor trees.

Things were mostly packed up this Thursday when I left to go pick up the kids from Bobbie's house. When I got to the end of our court, I saw this:

Photobucket

I thought it looked like tornado damage. So I opened the car door and took this pic looking back down our court...
Photobucket
You can see that the roads hadn't iced yet. Just the trees and grass and the slush/ice pellets were coming down full-force.

Here's the McBride's old house, around the corner on Concorde:
Photobucket

I picked up the kids and headed for the Meeker's. Here's their neighborhood...
PhotobucketPhotobucket

Even Boomer was concerned:
Photobucket

From Bibi's house..
Photobucket
Their gorgeous backyard had some damage for sure:
Photobucket

But inside, we were warm and happy as clams --
PhotobucketPhotobucket

They had a gas stove, a generator and lots of food in the fridge (which we then moved outside... where it was just like a freezer! We even had a lovely candlelight dinner...
Photobucket

They were such amazing hosts, even under these crazy circumstances and were gracious enough to let us stay an extra day before we made our way to Wichita. Parts of Altus were without power for more than a week. Power lines snapped everywhere. Most of our friends were displaced to Wichita Falls, OKC or Dallas to ride out the power outage. That meant we didn't get to say goodbye to anyone in person. I guess there are good things and bad things about that.

Altus, you may get a bad rap from some people. But in my book, you will be remembered for your gracious hospitality, your commitment to your military members (you dont' see that everywhere!) and of course, for the wonderful friendships we made there. It was 3 years of blessings for us. And while we were ready for some shopping and dining options, it was sad driving out of town. We didn't cry on our way in, but I did cry on my way out. May God bless our church there, our friends and our little house that we loved.

No comments: