Saturday, March 06, 2010

Virginia or Bust!

Photobucket

We had a long complicated plan for our move. I believe I mentioned it in an earlier post. But it didn't quite go down like that. For starters, we left Altus a day late. And that kind of threw things off kilter. Here's Cory's rundown of the move....

Here's a brief synopsis of our recent move from Altus OK to Hampton VA over the past few weeks because, as people like to say, 'you can't make this stuff up.'

27 Jan: Movers finish packing boxes for pickup the next day.
28 Jan: Ice storm hits southwest Oklahoma. Movers load our stuff into the truck as trees are snapping all around us from the weight of the ice. Going away lunch with co-workers is cancelled.
29 Jan: All power is out in the town and on base. The dog takes me skating like a water-skier on the roads. We're staying with friends who are using a generator in their RV for power and the gas burners in the kitchen for heat. I'm unable to do my final outprocessing at the base.
30 Jan: No telling when the power will be restored, so we decide to hit the road. Roads are just good enough to drive on. We set off for Wichita KS, where they've already gotten 6 in. of snow.
31 Jan: Jill, the dog, and I start the caravan cross country while the kids stay with friends in Wichita. We stay with the McBrides in Mascoutah, IL for the night (thanks Sarah & Jon!).
1 Feb: The drive continues. We stay in Charleston, WV, for the night.
2 Feb: We drive through a WV snowstorm, arrive in Hampton in the afternoon, put the dog in the kennel, and perform the final walk-through on our new house. During the drive, the realtor calls and says the seller is in the hospital with heart problems. We may not be able to close on the house on time.
3 Feb: Jill flies back to Wichita to bring the girls into town on the weekend. The closing happens as planned, but the seller wants to retain possession until 0900 the next morning to finish getting their things out of the house.
4 Feb: I arrive at the house at 0845 as the sellers are carrying the last of their things out and our movers are waiting to take our things in. All our stuff is inside by mid-afternoon.
5 Feb: Unpacking boxes trying to get the house liveable for the girls when they arrive the next day.
6 Feb: Snowpocalypse part 1 hits the Mid-Atlantic. We're far enough south that we only get a couple inches, but that's enough to cancel flights into the airport. Jill, her grandmother, and the girls are stuck in Atlanta for the night.
7 Feb: Everyone arrives into town in the morning safely.
8 Feb: I go to report in to the base despite not knowing where I'm supposed to go or who I'm supposed to see. After a couple tries I find the right office only to be told that they don't know where they are going to put me yet. 'Give us your phone number and we'll give you a call.'
Today (15 Feb): Still unpacking boxes, still don't know when I'm formally supposed to report for work. I'll try again tomorrow.

Despite all the craziness, it's been a blast and the city is great. Tell us when you're coming to visit, we'd love to have you!!! :-)

________________

Cory finally reported for work on the 22nd. And they still say they might be sending him to a different office. He's keeping busy. And even though surrounded by people with names like "Predator" it seems to be going okay.

We definitely could not have made it through the last month or so of craziness without the help of our friends, namely the Ayottes and the Bairs, who were so wonderful to keep the kids while we trekked across the country in both cars stopping ever so often to play a little fetch with Boomer. Thanks, everyone. We love you!! It was so wonderful not to have to worry about them and know they were having a blast. We are blessed.

No comments: