So about a week ago I realized Sydney had been dry every morning for months. Pull ups are expensive, so I immediately began plotting how to ease her into the idea. We had a few discussions about how she was getting to be a big girl, and she didn't need to wear her pull ups anymore at night because she could just get up and go to the potty if she needed to.
"Mommy wears panties under her jammies, and now you can too!" I said, raising my eyebrows all excitedly.
"No mommy." she said solemnly, "We don't wear panties. We wear Pull Ups to bed." Then she looks at me like I'm pathetic.
The girl likes her routine. Panties may be more comfortable, less expensive, cuter... but dude, if that isn't what we've always done, it isn't going to happen. Easily, anyway. So I made a sticker chart. For wearing her pull up, she could earn a sticker. For waking up dry she could earn a sticker. For sleeping ONLY in her own bed she could earn a sticker. For 10 stickers, she would receive "ice cream with the pink straw" which is Sydese for a junior chocolate shake at Braums. For 20 stickers, we would go on a kite flying adventure. For 30 stickers, I would get her a pair of roller skates. She seemed very excited about the whole idea. I was faintly optimistic. I should have known better.
Last night was the 3rd night APU (After Pull Ups) and each night has been worse than the last. I don't know if it's anxiety over the idea that she *might* have an accident, or anxiety over the whole chart idea. It's not super hard to get her to put the panties on after bath. Oh no. The fun starts after the bedtime routine. When she knocks on her door 15 times (yes, I still have the child lock on the inside of her door. Don't judge me.) wanting to "go potty" when in all actuality what she wants to do is get you talking about some other subject, thereby delaying the sleeping part of the night.
Then at some point she falls asleep until around 1:30, when she wakes up and wants to sleep with me in the guest room. Frankly, I am not used to waking up at night anymore. It seems perfectly logical to just put her in bed with me so we can just all get some sleep. In the morning, I think "Well that was dumb. I should have just made her sleep in her room." Yeah, well....
So last night, she woke up at 1:47 and I'm guessing she had been awake for some time because she was quite chipper and chatty. We retired to the guest bed and for the next 3 hours, she chatted me up every 30-45 minutes. Totally random subjects.
Her: "Mommy, that's my bus! I ride it to school. Brenna doesn't go on the bus."
Me: "Sydney, it is not time for talking. Please go to sleep."
I. Was. Not. Amused. At precisely 4:07 a.m., I threw back the covers and took her to the restroom, where she started having a fit that she didn't have to go. So I put her in her room and went to the garage and got the potty that I keep in my car. I put it in the room with her and said, "Mommy is done. Mommy is tired. You have been awake for 3 hours and it is night time. You need to close your eyes and calm your body down and go to sleep. I am not coming back in here. If you need to use the potty, it's right there. I love you. Good night."
And then I went back to bed and listened to her scream and pound on her door and yell, "mommmmmmmmmmy! We DON'T want to sleep in my bed! I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDD to go Poooooooooooooooottttyyyyyyy!"
"Can you freaking believe this?" I said to Cory, "You know this all started with the Pull Ups, right? Can you freaking believe this?"
He could not freaking believe this. There is no way Brenna slept through this business but she never called for us, and I assume she eventually went back to sleep.
Then the screaming intensified and the tone changed. I marched in there and opened the door and she had PEED on her floor not 3 feet from the potty. I was so unbelievably upset. I can't even believe she did that. Totally on purpose. I cleaned her and the floor up and was > < this close to putting a pull up on her and giving up the fight. But I am way too stubborn for that.
Panties and Jammies on, I tucked her in, said very sternly, "We will talk about this tomorrow. Mommy is NOT happy." and left the room. I didn't hear a peep out of her until after 8 a.m.
Tonight is night 4. Can't wait.
(And in case you were wondering, I totally took away all the stickers she had earned so far and told her she had to start over. Think that was too harsh?)
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Hang in there Jill. Love, Mom
Wow, you are fighting a fight I have not had the urge to even attempt yet. Emma is 4 1/2 and she still wears pull ups. Wish I had the nerve to try to get her out of them!! If you find somethign that works let me know!!!
If she likes routine, Maybe you could set a time every night for her to go potty. With Isabella we would have her go potty right before we went to bed (11pm)and in the beginning this seem to help her get through the night.
You're absolutely not being too harsh! She's testing you, LOVE that girl!!! But she's WAY WAY smarter then anyone even imagines and she is learning something about control right now... when it comes to bed time, she desparately wants to keep control. This is one battle ground you can't back down from FOR YOUR SANITY! You will prevail, keep up the good work!!!
7th generation makes a pull up that is brown and super boring. Give her a choice, brown pull up, or super cool special night time undies. That way you guys aren't locked in a power struggle, and it gives you a way "out", if you think she is not ready yet, without giving in?? Does that make sense?
I agree with Jaimee! Don't give up! Remember... she will NOT go to college wearing pull ups!!! LOL!
Post a Comment