Sunday, April 19, 2009

Blessed

So this morning I was sitting in church weeping. It was Confirmation Sunday. In front of the altar were 16 teenagers and preteens, standing up there being baptized and/or confirmed and I was so choked up. Confirmation according to the Methodist church, is a "moment of recognition of the work of God's grace in the life of a person... as well as an embrace of being a disciple." Basically, they were acknowledging that God had worked in their lives already and that they understood how God's grace had saved them, by faith. They were announcing their status as God followers. Kids from all sorts of backgrounds, surrounded by their family members (in most cases) and various people from the church who had helped them along in the process. "Madison (Jaleel, Grace, Brianna, Kevin....) remember your baptism and be thankful."

I certainly was thankful this morning, to be a part of such a loving, vibrant congregation in our little town. My grandma told me this week she was glad I'd finally seen the light and was happy her Baptist/non-denominational/Presbyterian granddaughter was (at least currently) a practicing Methodist. ;-)

I have certainly learned a lot from each church I've been privileged to be a part of. This week I was missing the worship at New Hope in Hawaii. I've never seen it's equal. I cried in many a New Hope service too, just like this morning.

Because, my friends, the love of God is amazing. Whether brought to mind through a fabulously choreographed service with thousands in attendance or in a little church in unassuming SW Oklahoma which rallies around its children. God is good.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Jill, what a beautiful post.

I was invited to attend a friend's and her daughter's baptism at your church and it was one of the most moving things to watch. I think for me because I have no idea where my faith is these days.

I admire your faith.

Unknown said...

The passion you express for your faith is truely amazing! You are an inspiration to me!