Today is my parents' 37th wedding anniversary. Wow, that seems like a long time. I've only been married for 6 1/2 years, but that went by in the blink of an eye. So I imagine my mom can remember vividly preparing to get married. Finding her dress. Seeing my dad's face at the end of the aisle. I'm sure she can also vividly remember that her veil caught on fire when they were lighting their unity candle. Because, really, who can forget that?
I know she tells me, "Enjoy this time while your kids are little. It goes by so fast." And it does... I can tell already. The years are fast but sometimes the days are long. And things don't go exactly how you've pictured or planned in my experience. 37 years ago, my parents probably had different thoughts about how their lives would go. What jobs they'd have. What their kids would turn out to be like. Where they'd live and the people they'd touch.
Dad had several different jobs over the course of all these years. He worked in farming. He was a truck driver. A security officer. I am thankful that he provided for our family. That he was there for us when we needed him. That he incessantly asked me if I had filled up my gas tank and checked the oil. Though we may clash, and God knows I am terribly outspoken, I know my dad loves me. I understand that he gave up things he wanted to do and be to make sure that we were taken care of. When his health permits it now, he works or volunteers with healthcare non-profits or volunteers at the school my mom works at, patiently listening to kids reading. He helps out at their church when he can. It makes me tear up to see how much he loves my children.
My mom stayed home with us until my brother Kelly went to middle school. Before that, she was the PTA president, the Girl Scout leader, the room mom, etc. etc. She ran us to scouts, soccer practice, youth group. She has always, ever since I can remember, taken care of people. She'd give you the shirt off her back if you needed it. She's an amazingly patient friend. When she went to work, it was in the public school system as a para professional. That way she had the summers and holidays off when we did. For a long time, she worked with special education students in a middle school setting. Only verifiable saints could handle that year after year. She helps out in numerous capacities at church, including the children's ministry.
Someday when I'm celebrating my 37th wedding anniversary with Cory, I can only hope we can look back and know we've made a difference, in large and small ways, just by the way we've followed God's leading and his call. By listening when someone needed it. By giving without regard to our own situation. By being fulfilled in our family, faith and friends.
Like my parents.
Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad! I love you,
Jill
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
This is such a sweet tribute! You made me tear-up. Happy Anniversary Marvin and Jan!
Love,
Tanya
What a sweet post! I hope they have a great anniversary. I think we should all remember to thank our parents more often!
What a heart-felt tribute to your parents.
Your girls are lucky to have such wonderful grandparents.
Hi! I looked on the blog to see if there were some more pics of all of you or the girls. What a nice surprise to see such a wonderful post about us. Thanks Jill. It made me laugh and tear-up as well. I took our wedding pics to school today. Many people said they enjoyed looking at them. Daddy helped out at school today. One of the kids wrote him at note yesterday and ask when he was coming back. She told him that he was needed. It made him feel good.
Guess I should quit "babbling on". We love you,
Mom and Dad
So sweet! I hope Ben and Brenna write about us like that some day :)
Post a Comment