Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bible Study musings

When I mentioned the following in my ladies Bible study yesterday, someone suggested I put this on my blog. So here it is...

Not too long ago I took an internet quiz which was supposed to tell me who I should vote for in November. It asked me lots of questions about my beliefs about abortion, border issues, the environment and the economy, etc. Then it told me I should vote for John McCain, because that's who my beliefs most resembled. Here's the thing.... why should the person who thinks most like me be the president? Do I presume to know what's best for this country? No way, Jose. I don't know diddly about a lot of things. I base my opinions on what LITTLE I know. The president of the United States has the worst job in the world, in my opinion. Can you imagine the level of stress? He has to make decisions that affect millions and then EVERY decision he makes is ridiculed because he's just never going to make one that everyone agrees with.

I get super upset at people who rage about the president doing a terrible job... I can only assume that the President can make a more informed decision than I can. He has access to loads more information, more people who know what they're talking about (hopefully). Presumably he has a bigger picture in front of him as he makes these decisions than when I am shooting off at the mouth about something at Starbucks with my girlfriends. I see only what I think would be best for me. He has to think about a lot more than that.

In the same way, God has the film of our whole lives in view. He has the entire, complete picture in front of him. And yes, I still question him about his decisions, about his timing, his plans, his motives. He must laugh at me (in a loving, sympathetic way, i hope) when I continually ask "why?" and gritch about things. Because let's face it... I just need to relax and be His instrument, serving and showing up when he asks me to, and trust that he's got it under control. I can look back and see him guiding, protecting, encouraging, prodding and loving me, even when I thought he was on vacation or had completely lost his mind.

The parallel may be flawed (president vs.God) but it's still worth thinking about.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting point and I agree with everything you said. However, does that mean that you don't make any decisions since God will take care of it? Is belief in destiny just an easy way out? I can name a few people, not you, but some who leave everything up to God and is that the right way? One could say George Bush was meant to be the president, and that no matter who voted for whom it still would have been him... I could carry on but I would just find myself counterarguing my own arguements! HA!

Jill said...

Hi Laura!! happy late birthday. I owe you an e-mail.

In answer to your question, I believe people have free will, that God allows us to make decisions and live with the consequences. Not because he is playing some cosmic game, but because if his whole goal is a relationship with us, then it has to be a choice or decision on our parts. But, I also think that he can and does use any scenario that may come to be, as part of his plan and purposes. It might take a few dozen scenarios to play out in my life, for example, before i realize what forgiveness means, or what sacrifice is... and when I do, I grow closer to Him.

Does that make sense? It's pretty late as I write this. I'll have to read it in the morning again and see if I'm coherent at all.... thanks for commenting!