Saturday, January 31, 2009

Dang it.

When people start posting on their blogs about their houses selling, it becomes increasingly difficult for me to ignore the fact that they are, in actuality, leaving me. I will allow myself a few minutes of self pity. Indulge with me, if you will....

The Air Force and I see differently on lots of things. However, for the most part, we have a decent relationship. I know when we first started dating, Cory was just sure I was going to say something awful or embarrassing to some superior officer. I feel I have calmed down quite a bit since my younger days when (as my friend Tanya and I like to put it) I was "so 23," so I don't think he's that worried about it anymore. It might scare him >< this much that I really enjoy hanging out with his squadron commander's wife. But for the most part, since I haven't gotten him demoted yet, I guess he'll keep me. I may THINK a lot of things about the Air Force that I wouldn't necessarily say out loud. That comes with being "so 33" and resigned to my fate and God's sense of humor.

Air Force, while it may piss me off that you GIVE ME FRIENDS AND THEN TAKE THEM AWAY, I also understand that in this transaction, I also, by being part of you, am allowed the opportunity to:

a.) See the World! (really pretty parts of it like Oklahoma! Okay, and I did live in Hawaii, which WAS cool. Sydney says she is moving to Hawaii and I am really hoping she knows something we don't.)
b.) Make New Friends. Crazy ones. Fun ones. Smart ones. Caring ones. Ones who you call and say, "We're bored. Bring me some McDonalds and come over and play."
c.) Feed and clothe our family. And help other people.
d.) provide my husband with all kinds of training (that had better -- ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME, AIR FORCE? -- get him a great job when he gets out. Because seriously, dude is training for something all the dang time. Or studying for something, but I digress.
e.) Have experiences that I would not have had otherwise. I can't even think of anything witty to say about that. It's just true. It's entirely possible that I would still be in Wichita, doing who knows what, with who knows who had I not married my tall, dark and handsome flyboy.

So see? I just had to ramble incoherently for a bit and now I feel better. Because, let's face it, people. There are really good parts to the Air Force. The stability. The honor. The adventure. And the friends... who, even if they do leave you to go traipsing across the globe for a few years, will always, ALWAYS be your friends. Because there are far more important things that we share than just a silly zip code.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

My friends are the best and most lasting thing I will take from this adventure.

And probably one of the only things for which I am thankful to the Air Force.

Well, I guess health care and a steady income count but you know what I mean.

Marc, Jaimee, Ben and Liam said...

I'm famished! How about an update?