I read this this morning in my devotions. I thought some of you might appreciate it like I did. It's from "Indispensable Life Lessons" by Wayne Cordeiro. He's writing a letter to his young daughter (who's now grown up) about something he didn't want her to forget as time went on. I don't want to forget it either.
"Dear Amy,
We recently moved into our little house in HIlo. It's a peaceful neighborhood. Well, except for a frustrated dog who lives next door and loves to hear his own bark. He starts his annoying tirade at 9:30 p.m. sharp every evening and goes non-stop til 5:00 in the morning. About the time I get up from a sleepless night is the same time he curls up and goes to sleep. I want to go by his doghouse and bark all day.
At first , I was so irritated that I began to think of ways to quietly and effectively put that creature out of his misery. But after hurling a few rocks and a few angry words at him, I got my frustration out. Time slipped by and guess what? I began getting used to this mad dog. After a few months, I didn't even hear him anymore. I guess I became numb to it. It's amazing what a little time will do when you ignore something.
On the other hand, your younger sister Abby, is just a year old now. She still cries at night, but even though she's been making noises at night since she was born, it has never become commonplace to your mother. She never gets used to it. Mom wakes up out of a deep sleep at Abby's first cry. She can also pick out the sound of Abby's voice in a nursery full of screaming babies. Your mother has never allowed Abby's (or Aaron's or your) cries to ever become commonplace. They move her to action every time.
I wonder if we've made God's voice more like a dog's bark than a baby's cry? If I fight against God's voice long enough, I will dull my ears to it. But if I love His voice and respond to it, it will always be clear, fresh, and distinct. I'll hear His voice in the night, in a crowd of people, in the middle of the world, or at 2 a.m.
When God speaks, don't throw stones and don't allow His voice to become commonplace. If you do, He'll keep talking, but you won't be able to hear him anymore. So keep listening. -- Dad"
So true, so true. I've noticed lately that Brenna is saying so many things I hadn't realized. I've heard her babbling, but I wasn't concentrating enough to quite make out what my sweet girl is saying. Kitty. Doggie. Car. Keys. Sydney. Paci. Bottle. Baby. So much more in her husky, raspy baby voice. What a sweet girl.
So I'm going to try to keep my ears open more... both to the audible things in my everyday life, and to the still, quiet voice of God. Wanna join me?
----
p.s. the girls and I are headed to Wichita in the morning to visit and hang out. We'll be back home by Easter so the bunny doesn't get confused and so Daddy doesn't have to have Easter dinner alone. Toodles!
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
That is GREAT!!! Hope you don't mind me lifting it for my blog...lol Seriously -- thanks.
Sarah, lift away. Wayne Cordeiro is the pastor of our old church in Hawaii -- he was truly inspirational. I'm glad you liked it.
Wonderful devotion! Loved it! Hurry back quickly and THANK YOU THANK YOU for that delicious dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!
love,
Jaimee
Hi Jill! I found you on Holly's blog. I can't believe how different Sydney looks from the last time we saw you guys! You must have your hands pretty full with two redheads- they are so cute! Also, loved the message you shared on this post.
Yea you are coming to Wichita!
I hope I get to see you while you are here.
Happy Easter.
Cheryl
Take your time posting some Easter pictures :) I'll try not to bug you too much! Just can't get enough of those precious red heads and can't wait for the rest of the world to see them in their precious outfits and bows!!!
Post a Comment