
(She does her music in Brenna's high chair a lot, because we let her play with little pieces of things which Brenna would put in her mouth.)
Sydney has had some issues with adjusting to life at preschool. We are making adjustments for her, with the help of her teachers, so that she is better able to deal. A few days ago, she told me "It's loud at school." So we sent her noise cancellation headphones to school. They don't block all the noise. She can still hear someone talking in a normal voice, but they do mask a lot of the "extra" noise. She had those on Wednesday and kept them in her cubby until she needed them. They said she only used them once, but she had a much better day.
Also, she wore a too-small swimming suit top under her uniform. This provides steady proprioceptive input, and she calls it her "squeeze". Lately she's been coming up to us and saying "I need a squeeze." And she does need it, rather than just want it.
We're in the process of making her a picture schedule for school, to help her more easily transition to the next activity. We've spoken to her teachers about allowing her to leave the room for a bit to collect herself if everything gets to be too much.
Her teachers and the school principal have been wonderful about all of this. I am thankful that they are willing to work with us so that our girl can have a pleasant preschool experience. I wish I could just send her to school and she'd adapt on her own, but it looks like she's going to need some help. So... I'm up for the challenge. But we do covet your prayers.
On the bright side (I guess it's all bright side, actually) she is well past where she needs to be academically. Sooooo smart! And she's gorgeous as ever. Check out the new hair!

8 comments:
I have been thinking about you guys lately. I am glad school is helping out. That girl is gonna shine!!! You are a rockin mama, how could she not. I love the hair cut, she looks so much older, definitely 4:) One day when she is running for president, we will look back and laugh at all the pre k drama. Keep up the good work mama:)
she looks so old! What a beauty!
Glad to hear she she had a better day on Wednesday! We'll keep praying she finds ways to adjust. Hang in there! You are doing a GREAT job! Love you! And love Syd's cute haircut!
It sounds like you are doing all the things necessary to help Sydney adapt best to her surroundings. Maybe you could become an OT someday. =) We will pray for you all and for smooth transitions. Oh, and Sydney's haircut is darling!
I love her new 'do! There isn't a whole lot you can do with boy's hair, bummer.
I'm so proud and glad that you were brave enough to get Syd checked out way back when and that she is getting helpful help so she can enjoy lifes experiences in a positive way. Maybe all her shrieking when she was a baby was her telling you she needed music therapy! You did great then and it sure sounds like you are doing dynamite now! Your a fantastic mom! My prayers are with you every night (Alex's too)!
She is VERY smart and adorable and is doing sooooo well telling everyone what she needs - not something many 3 year olds can do!
Way to go mom!!!
Jill you are doing an awesome job. I'm so proud that you had her checked out and that you are able to help her. She is a sweetie, both girls are. You did and are doing well.
Oh Jill -- you just described Kelly to a T. It is nuts how Sydney and Kelly are two peas in a pod. *sigh* I understand your feelings about wanting her to be able to adjust on her own, but if they need help, they need help! And that's why we are here. **hugs**
Post a Comment