So the powers that be (Deb) passed around a list this morning at Bible Study asking for our blog addresses. Potentially this means that 30 new people could be looking me up and I didn't want my "4:54" post to be the very first thing they read from me. Especially from a blog called "In EVERYTHING give thanks." So I came right home, put one child down for a nap, fixed some chicken and french fries for Syd, and put on Backyardigans so I could get right down to business... putting something positive on here. And now as I'm typing, I realize.... so what if that's the first thing they read? It was real life stuff. And even though I wasn't happy, I was telling the truth. It's hard, motherhood. And maybe it will make them think "I am not alone."
The funk I mentioned being in a few posts ago, has never really gone away completely. I do notice that that funk seems to come back when the girls fall into one of their not-sleeping-through-the-night slumps. So I'm aware of the cause and that it won't last forever. We're all fine, and we're all grateful. For friends who invite us over for dinner on a weeknight, just because we all need a little girl talk and a glass of wine. For friends who call to say, "You better be there, or I will call you again." For friends who call and say, "Meet you at McDonalds." etc. etc.
We were also talking this morning about life in Altus. You either love it or you don't. I love it, because of the people. I know that friends I've met here will be my friends for the rest of my life. I am blessed to have friends like from all the places we've been. I know that God gives us fellowship for a reason. He knows we need each other. We were not created to be alone. And for those of us whose circumstances mean that every 3 years we are completely uprooted and starting over, that is a lesson we get to learn over and over. Bloom where you are planted. Put down some roots, even though you know they won't be allowed to grow for long. Join a church. Find a Bible Study. Start a playgroup. Just say hello at the playground, even if you'd rather zone out for a few minutes than make small talk. You never know what your efforts might produce.
I remember seeing some new neighbors out surveying their backyard, directly behind me in Hawaii one evening. I was expecting a houseful of company in like 15 minutes, but I jotted down our number and ran out to say hello for a sec. I know for certain that Laura and Dave thought I was a crazy midwestern freak to be so friendly with strangers, but what I didn't know is that my friendship with Laura would help me get through my first year of motherhood. Almost every afternoon, Syd and I would traipse across the backyard and play for a bit with Laura and Alex. Oh how I needed that adult conversation by that time of the day. We are not two peas in a pod, Laura and I... we're different in lots of ways. But we found commonalities. And I know God sent her to me to help me survive a lonely time. I hope I was of some benefit to her too.
So here's my challenge to you: be kind to someone today. Smile at the elderly lady who is looking longingly at your baby in the Walmart aisle. Let the other car go first at the 4 way stop. Call a friend you haven't seen for awhile. Write an encouraging e-mail. Make someone's day. Be God's hands and feet.
Ahhhh, now that's a much better post to read, right off the bat. And you know, I feel better just having written it.
Wednesday, September 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wonderful post, Jill. You should write for Parents magazine. Great encouragement for all of us moms out there!
I think I have the funk now :) but this post is definately a pick me up.
Hang in there Jill. When my kids were the age of yours, I would jokingly say that I would sleep when they were 10. Well they are all over 10 now and I do get to sleep every night now. I just want to encourage you that this won't last forever-even if it feels like it right now. My favorite Bible verse is "and it came to pass" Everything DOES eventually pass. Lots of love.
Post a Comment