Picked up the kids from preschool and MDO this afternoon and headed for the park. It was pretty nice out and we lucked out and found our friends the Rivards already there. We played for awhile and talked. Suddenly Sydney gets pretty whiney and kind of weird. She's getting paler by the moment. Paler than usual, I mean, which I didn't really know was possible. She said something about an owie and pointed to her neck. She then opened her mouth and acted like maybe she was going to be sick and had a big bubble of saliva and then she proceeded to act very VERY tired -- like eyes rolling back in her head kind of tired. I picked her up and tried to talk to her and she was just.... I don't really know how to describe it. I'm asking, "Syd, are you okay? Syd? Jenn, do you think she's okay?" And Jenn's looking at her and saying "She's really pale. There's blue all around her eyes... I don't think she's okay."
Soo... we called 911. I laid her down on the wood chips and she didn't care and her eyes were closed, so I knew there was something not right. But she was breathing and all. The EMTs were there quick since their station is just down the road. By then she had come around a little but was still pale. She wouldn't answer any of their questions, but she was more with it. So they just looked at her throat, said it looked maybe a little swollen and said we should probably get her checked out.
Cory met us at the hospital and we waited for awhile. She was jumping off the walls by then, acting completely normal by the time they called us back. So, long story short... the doc thought maybe it was a vasovagal reaction. I have had these a few times... once when I stubbed my toe REALLY bad on vacation in Wisconsin. Once right after an epidural, etc. Basically, your blood pressure gets really low and you pass out. My very unscientific research shows that this is common in redheads. So basically, I have no doubt that I will be really freaked out quite a bit in the upcoming years, especially if the littlest redhead develops these unfortunate episodes too.
It's just never boring with the Petersons around.
Don't worry, we will take her to her doc for a checkup in the next day or two, but for now, it looks like she's just fine.
Monday, September 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
You are totally committed to having a little Brookie Bair aren't you? Remember her "fainting" episodes when she was little? The good news is she hasn't had one since she was about 4 or 5. Hang in there and keep us posted. We love you!! Mrs. Auntie Laura
Glad to hear she is doing OK. I remember hearing about when you stubbed your toe in Wisconsin. Love, Mom
how scary! now i'm going to be a nervous wreck thinking about my little redhead getting these episodes!
glad she's okay!
Oh no!! I have a little tiny redhead and I really hope I am not in for fainting episodes...I couldn't handle it!! Glad Syd is doing better!!!
Sarah and Crew
So glad she is OK! I would've totally freaked out! I can not forget the toe fainting incident and how freaked we all were! I'm sorry that Sydney inherited you're fainting skills. Hopefully she'll outgrow them quickly!
Post a Comment