
So I'm dying to know what you all think of Sarah Palin, John McCain's pick for VP on the Republican ticket.
A little background... I have to tell you I was pretty uninterested in the election until his selection. I think McCain's a good guy -- qualified, has integrity, we agree on lots of issues, and he could jump in with both feet immediately and do a great job as Commander in Chief. I was ready to vote for him, but I wasn't all that excited about it. And I'll admit I was just as fascinated with Obama as most of the country was as he started his whirlwind ascent to prominence. I do think that Obama is capable of doing great things for our country. He seems like a nice guy. I like Michelle Obama, too. She seems like she'd be an amazing First Lady. I'm just not confident that he is ready to be President. I do love to hear him talk, though. The man can rock a speech.
And so can Sarah Palin. That girl can BRING IT! I watched her acceptance speech last week and sat with my mouth open the whole time. She came across as down to earth, confident, knowledgeable. She acknowledged her family has issues like everyone else's. As a sidenote, I'm glad to see that the Dems are agreeing that Palin's children are off-limits, as far as discussion topics. We all make mistakes. Some of us have sex when we're young and stupid, and some of us have sex when we're old, are the president, and are having affairs with interns. So really, do they want to go there?
I am excited at the prospect of an advocate for special needs children in the White House. Not only do the Palins have a son with Downs Syndrome, but they also have a niece or nephew with special needs. And Cindy McCain used to be a special ed teacher. Her anti-abortion stance is great. I'm not a one issue voter, but that issue is important to me. I like what she's done in Alaska. She's not perfect, but who among us is? At least she's not afraid to try and make a difference. She's not afraid to make changes that might be unpopular but are the right things to do. So without further ado...
Top 5 reasons why a mom would make a good VP:
1. When you're a mom, and you don't know something, you call someone who does. A doctor, a teacher, a specialist, your friends who have been there and done that. You develop your arsenal of information and skills. You do your research and come up with the best solution for your problem based on the best advice from your most trusted resources. And sometimes, you listen to everyone, and you go out on a limb and trust your gut to do something different than what you're hearing. Mommy intuition is a powerful thing.
2. When you're a mom, you cut through the crap. You have a gazillion things on your plate every day and no time to do even half of it. So you deal with the most pressing need first. You do your best. You make mistakes and you learn from them. You do what you thought you'd never be capable of because you have to. People's lives depend on it.
3. When you're a mom, you are in the business of doing things that people don't like, but they need.
4. When you're a mom, you're used to dealing with whiney, ridiculously needy people all day.
5. When you're a mom, you have a great desire to do the right thing... to make the world a better place for your kids.You know people are counting on you and you can't let them down.
There are lots more reasons why a mom would make a good VP, but those are going down as my top 5.
I have found myself wondering if I were in politics and someone called me up one day and asked me to be on the ticket, would I be able to do it while my children were young? That's a hard question. I don't know if I could. But there are lots of things that I'm not sure I could do, but if I were called to some higher position, say in my church or community and my kids were young, could I not make it work? I should hope if I felt called by God to any position, no matter how high-powered, high stressed or scary, I would say yes. What if Sarah Palin was put in her position, like Esther, for such a time as this?
Okay, enough of my ramblings..... discuss amongst yourselves in the comments section please! All opinions welcome.

9 comments:
Great post, Jill! I totally agree with you, and I think that she would make a fabulous VP. I also agree with Julie's comment from a previous post that you should send some of your writing to a magazine--you always make me think about things in a different way, and I really enjoy that! :)
Very well said! I have to agree with you!
Jill,
I love your top 5 reasons a mom would make a great VP!
Holly sent me your blog link and I'm so glad she did.
I wasn't that excited/interested in this presidential campaign until Palin entered the race. After I heard her first speech I felt so much optimism - she was a BREATH OF FRESH AIR!!!
I am so excited to see a strong, intelligent, feminine women have a chance to make history! And I am a liberal! The fact that she is a mom makes it even more exciting.
anonymous, do I know you? Just wondering! And are you friends with my friend from Hawaii Holly or another Holly?
Love reading your point of view, Jill! I would love to see Palin as VP. But what do VPs do again? I don't actually want to say this 'outloud' so to speak, but this could be the way to get the first female president in the office - everyone says how 'old' McCain is. Like us East-Coasters would say, "F" the media - Go Palin!
Laura Wong
What a fun read, you've got so start sending some of these in somewhere... Parenting magazines or even Readers Digest!
Jill,
I loved reading your comments and views. My mom and I recently had a discussion about Palin and when I saw your blog I couldn't help but pass it along to her.
Holly
Well said, Jill! As I prepare to be a mommy, I especially appreciated your top 5 reasons a mom would make a great VP. I too, stared at the TV during her speech completely awestruck. I think she is amazing, intelligent, and down to earth. And, especially with my line of work, I too would like to see someone represent children with special needs in D.C. I've never really been into politics before, but am really tuning into this election now that Palin is on board! And I agree with what others have said - you need to submit your writings or perhaps you and Tanya should write a book about mommyhood or something. It would be a hit!
Post a Comment