Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A letter to Sydney

My Squidney,
You get a bad rap sometimes. You're so headstrong and purposeful in your actions... you know what you want. And even though these things make day to life very... shall we say interesting? I know that these attributes will serve you well in the years to come. I was thanking my Bible Study friends today for their help and support over the last year. The subject came up, and often does, how much easier going Brenna is than you. But your sweet advocate Miss Jaimee said, "You know, Sydney's going to be the President someday. And she's going to be one of those kids who say, 'NO WAY am I doing drugs. That's just stupid.' and not just go with the flow just to fit in." She's so right.

I am so proud of you and how you charge head first into things (literally and figuratively) with gusto. You are so smart and so funny and you're growing up so fast. I am enjoying our conversations lately. Your vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds and you amaze me sometimes. It seems like yesterday you were crawling across the yard in Hawaii and now you say things like "Jenna (the cat), please get down off the table. You fall and hurt yourself!"

Every afternoon you come to me during your quiet time and Brenna's nap and we have this conversation:

Syd: "Momma, I have a cookie?"
Me: "ummmmm... no"
Syd: "How 'bout a pickle?"
Me: "How 'bout not? You just had lunch."
Syd: How 'bout a piece -uh- bread?"
Me: "No, honey."
Syd: "How 'bout a cookie?"

Extra points to you for being sneaky! And BTW, you do get a cookie eventually, just later in the afternoon.

This morning you woke up when Daddy was getting ready for work and must have thought we were all up and had forgotten about you. You were hollering fairly loudly. I got you from your room and took you back to bed to snuggle. This would have never worked even a month ago, but you laid your head down on a pillow and cuddled into mommy and went back to sleep.
I enjoyed waking up to your smiling face an hour and a half later. (Not that I want to repeat this every morning, but you know! ;-)

So this post doesn't have much of a point, since you can't even read it, but I just wanted to write this all down to remember that when you were 2 1/2 and generally quite a handful, I loved you so much my heart could hardly stand it. I love you, Turkey Pie.
Mommy

4 comments:

Tanya said...

This is so sweet it makes me almost cry. What a great idea!

Andrew fell asleep in the car and so I'm loving him a little more today. :) Thanks for listening to my whiney pregnancy and mommy woes yesterday! Don't know what I'd do without you! Love, Tanya

Unknown said...

Such a sweet post...
I completely agree that several of the conversations I have with Grayson each day are ones that I have EVERY day with him. Crazy how kids thrive on that routine-part of their lives. =) Hope you all have a great time celebrating Brenna's b-day!

Marc, Jaimee, Ben and Liam said...

She will really treasure this entry when she's older! It is obvious how madly in love you are with Sydney! And vice versa!!! She just warmed my heart with her adoring eyes and "I love you Mama" as you were putting her in her carseat today after Bible study... these are the moments to remember!!!

Sarah said...

Made me get all teary. :) Ah, life with a 2 1/2 year old!