Thursday, January 03, 2008

Resolutions

Totally copying off you, Jaimes. sorry! I've never been too big on making (or keeping) resolutions. I do like the idea of a new begining, though. So here are some things I'd like to get better at or start this year::

1. Healthier, more varied meals for all of us. Brenna will eat anything we've given her so far, but Sydney is fairly picky. She has a good few weeks, then reverts to her mainstays of strawberries, cinnamon bread, teriyaki boneless chicken wings from Schwans, pretzels, chocolate milk and the occasional bowl of spaghettios. We are having Polynesian Pork Chops for dinner tonight, so that should count for something, right?

2. Better planned activities for the girls. I've already started on this. Sydney went to Gymnastics class this morning and seemed to really like it. Brenna will start Kindermusik this month too.

3. Get a good haircut and actually do my hair a few times a week at least. Ha! We'll see about this one.

4. Blog more. Procrastinate less. At least 4 times a day, I think, "I should talk about such-and-such" on the blog but then I never do.

5. Catch up on the baby books and pictures. I'm not too far behind on the baby books, but I've all but given up on the scrapbooking idea. I'll be happy with just sliding actual photos into albums and scribbling a comment alongside a few of them. Isn't it sad how nowadays we have so much better pictures than we did when we relied on 35mm film cameras but then we hardly ever (well, I don't) print them out. They look pretty in all their little folders on the computer though.

6. Take some good vacations. Cory is planning for the big air show at the beginning of May. After that we're going to actually go somewhere for our anniversary this year if we can find someone to stay with the girls. Maybe Vegas. I would love some fabulous meals, a fabulous hotel room and some fabulous shows. Then we're also planning to take the girls and go on a family vacation somewhere. Like not to visit anybody, just to go somewhere and be together. They should be decent travellers by the summer, right?

7. Focus more on our marriage... I think it's going remarkably well. I couldn't ask for more in a husband. (Don't think I'm getting any brownie points for saying this either. He doesn't even read this blog unless I ask him to.) But there's something to be said for restoring some of the effort I used to put into making his days a little easier/brighter. You know what I mean... back in the day when I slept enough and remembered to get the orange juice he likes or make him a sandwich before a flight so he didn't have to do it at 4 a.m. or left a card in his car for no reason other than to say "I'm thinking of you!" The kids shouldn't get ALL my effort. I vow to do better.

8. Relax and enjoy. I've got the good life. And I'm often too worked up about insignificant issues to fully be aware of the good things that surround me. 2007 was a tough year, I have to say. I knew it was going to be and it was. Mostly because of the lack of sleep. But you know, there are much, much worse things. And I am grateful that all I have to complain about is not enough sleep. My girls are healthy and beautiful. My husband loves me. I have a comfortable home and wonderful friends and family. I am, simply, blessed. so I pledge to remember that in 2008 and beyond.

I think that's it for now. OH, and I wanted to add that I just finished a fantastic book called 3 Cups of Tea about an American who is building schools for girls in Pakistan and Afghanistan and the impact that education has on people. Highly, highly recommend that you take a peek.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jill~
You're such a GREAT blogger... thanks so much for sharing all your pictures and life experiences with the kiddos. I'm always smiling after I see your pics or read your comments. I LOVED "Merry freaking Christmas" -- I bet Parents magazine would pay you to publish that. We've all been there... =)
Have a great 2008!
Love, Julie

Jill said...

Ahhh, Julie! You're so sweet! Do you have a blog? I'd love to see it! And if you don't, you should start one! It's free and easy. Go to www.blogger.com

And I have to add, your comment appeared less than an hour after I wrote that resolutions thing, and I got back on to check something and noticed someone had commented and thought "HOLY COW, Jaimee really IS a blog stalker! Ha!" But it wasn't you, so now I am apologizing for laughing at you prematurely! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow. And I was resolving to never let my gas gauge get below a quarter of a tank! I'll come stay with the girls (if you don't get a better offer). I am planless for summer so I am at your beck and call. Of course, you have seen my parenting...and the resulting drama queen diva it's all about me Brooke Danielle Bair! Love to all!!
Laura

Marc, Jaimee, Ben and Liam said...

I do admit that I am a blog stalker, but only of those blogs that I love! Hehehehe, I think it's funny that it wasn't me this time. But before you get to comfortable, remember, I'm always checking :) So keep up with those awesome posts!!!
love,
Jaimee
p.s. I'm totally adopting some of your resolutions as my own, they were awesome!